11 Random Facts & Breaking My Own Rule
I have to admit, I’m honored to be connected to so many people in my PLN. When this 11 Random facts thing (aka “Sunshine Nominations) started going around a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was a neat way of getting to know other things about your network than you might not of otherwise known. The concept is simple: Tell 11-relatively unknown facts about yourself, then post 11-questions for 11 bloggers to answer. One great problem to have with this project is that I’ve been “tagged” by multiple bloggers (#humblebrag) so at this point, I’d have to do this 6 times to honor the tag. Instead, I’m going to call out those that have tagged me, how I know them, and then answer a mix of my favorite questions they have asked.
1. I first got tagged by math wunderkind Cathy Yenca (@mathycathy) and realized this might be a serious thing.
2. Then, I got tagged first by Kristy Vincent (@bigpurplehat) but as she cyberstalks me, I immediately dismissed it.
3. A few days later, I got tagged by Dean Shareski (@shareski) and thought maybe I should take this more seriously as he’s a Canadian & a social media guru.
4. But a few minutes later, Amy Mayer (pronounced MAY-ER – @friedTechnology) tagged me, and as she’s friends with Kristy, I dismissed it again.
5. Then yesterday, fellow ADE Kyle Pearce (@MathletePearce) tagged me, so I had to take it serious again because he’s Canadian (see #3).
6. Finally, today, dear friend and self-designated “Wrecking ball” Joel Adkins (@mradkins) tagged me so I figured, I better do this ASAP to stop the sunshine.
So here goes. First up, my 11 random facts
1. I hate numbered lists for blog posts. (see the title of this post) Or numbered lists of any kind even though I try and avoid them, I’m guilty of doing them and even blogged about why you shouldn’t do them.
2. I went to UT as an Architectural Engineering major as it was a childhood dream of mine to be an architect. Now, like George Constanza, I find myself wanting the title “Digital Learning Architect” just so my dreams can come true.
3. In between that major and my eventual major of elementary education, I majored in drama…for one semester. (hard to believe, I know)
4. I’ve been on a not-so-secret mission to get my entire family caught up on the 21st century. First it was getting my wife a Facebook page, then my parents an iPad.
5. I have a phobia of feet. I don’t like to look at them, talk about them or touch them.
6. Despite what people think, I don’t hate paper. I just don’t like using it for the wrong reasons.
7. I have a pet peeve that I can’t order the same food as anyone else at the table in a restaurant. As such, if I’m ordering last, I usually have to have several options in mind should someone else choose them.
8. Speaking of restaurants, I drink a lot of iced tea. In fact, I set my average at 6 glasses and base my tip percentage on the over/under of that amount of refills.
9. I’ve had a life-long dream of playing in the World Series of Poker and have tried to play my way in since I can’t afford the $10K buy-in.
10. I have a fascination with survivalists and doomsday-preppers. It’s not healthy.
11. I’ve lost nearly 50lbs this year because of social media and will post those findings soon (just not in a numbered list!)
Ok, so now to the questions that need answers. I’ll list my answers alongside who asked it -
1. How do you feel about pants? (Dean) – I find them utilitarian. Fashion-wise, I vary between jeans and dockers. However, going without pants is only acceptable when doing workshops in Hawaii.
2. What’s your favorite movie of all time? (Joel) – The Godfather
3. Proudest moment? (Cathy) – It happens everyday when I come home and my girls shout out “Daddy!! Daddy’s home!!”
4. What was your very first tweet? (Kristy) – “Ok, I’m going to try this twitter thing out”
5. What’s your embarrassing childhood nickname? (Amy) – With my last name, it’s not too hard to think of a bunch. I was actually called “Mad Dog” when I was little, because I had a hair trigger temper and my face would also turn bright red.
6. How did you come up with your Twitter/online name? (Amy) – MrHooker – It was available in 2007 and how I have been known by the thousands of youths I’ve taught over the years.
7. What was the last movie you saw in a theatre? (Dean) – posted this because of Dean’s spelling of “theatre” but also to say I saw the latest Hobbit and was a little disappointed. (this coming from someone who lives on a street called “Mordor”)
8. Funniest thing you ever said in front of a group of students/educators? (Cathy) – Answer – [Censored] – but in reality, probably something to do with my last name….
9. What tweet would you leave in a time capsule for 50 years from now? (Kristy) – “My life is an open book that no one wants to read.”
10. You can snap your fingers and create an online tool that does whatever you want instantly. What does it do? (Amy) – I’ve actually blogged about this in 2012. Would love a “Smart Refrigerator” that knows what’s inside of it, what’s almost empty, what’s about to expire, etc. This weekend, my wife and I added that we’d love to be able to shout things at it to put on our shopping list. (think Google Glass) – “Ok Fridge – Out of milk!”
11. Who is your go-to concert experience? What band or artist do you have to see if they come to your town? (Joel) – Metallica, I try never to miss a show even though they’ve softened over the years.
Here are my 11 bloggers I’m nominating:
1. Greg Garner (classroom_tech) – because I know he hates these sort of things
2. Jake Duncan (@duncanbilingual)
3. Beth Holland(@brholland)
4. Brad McEachern (@bradmceachern)
5. Tracy Clark (@tracyclark08)
6. Felix Jacomino(@felixjacomino)
7. Sandy Kendell (@Edtechsandyk)
8. Carrie Ross (@msrossenglish)
9. Diane Doersch (@DoerDi)
10. Chris Parker (@kreyus)
11. my wild card here: Sir Ken Robinson (@sirkenrobinson) mostly because I want to see his answers.
Here are my 11 questions that need answers:
1. Who was your best boss EVER and why?
2. If you could go to any event in the world, what would it be and why?
3. Have you ever cried at a YouTube video? If so, which one?
4. What’s your most guilty pleasure?
5. What’s the biggest prize/money you’ve ever won?
6. What makes you nervous?
7. How do you explain your job to people?
8. What software/program needs to go away forever?
9. What is your secret super-power?
10. How many devices do you have in your home that connect to the internet?
11. What’s your proudest moment?
Please post your link to these answers in the comment section below so others can enjoy!!